Monday, June 11, 2012

Being Aunt Katie

I'm not really a good Aunt. I wish I was better. Yesterday was my nephew's 3rd birthday. I decided that he wouldn't notice if I didn't send something. So I didn't. But I still feel guilty. Look at that little face! I hope he doesn't hold grudges. 
The truth is, I am overwhelmed!!  I have 20 nieces and nephews. And I love every single one of them. I have incredible nieces who are talented and fun, and I have crazy nephews who are taking over the world. One of the grandkids pointed out recently that I was destined not to have any children if we were to keep the order.  This can happen when you are the last of 7 children. Here is how our family is structured right now:

Sibling  #1: 6 kids,
Sibling  #2: 5 kids
Sibling #3: 4 kids
Sibling #4: 3 kids
Sibling #5: 2 kids
Sibling #6: 0 kids
Me #7: 0 kids

So you can see there are A LOT of birthdays in my family. If you include everyone that's 33 birthdays to keep track of for a year. And then Husband comes from a family of 6. So it just keeps compounding!

I just sent a birthday card a week late to one of my nieces, and I'm feeling pretty good for getting anything in the mail at all. I've decided at this point I need to either start professionally making cards or make one video I send for the year. Are e-cards still cool?  I love my family but I'm not organized enough to keep on top of this. Sometimes I will get a card off to on kid one month, and then totally space their brother the next month.

Husband has recently decided he won't sing Happy Birthday on the phone anymore. And there is no way I'm calling and singing by myself.

Today is my brother's birthday, I sent a present but it's going to be late. Better late than never right?


No comments:

Post a Comment